Oceaneering Sr. Software Developer in San Diego, California
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The Sr. Software Developer will both lead and participate in the definition, design and implementation of web-based enterprise systems, including complex database systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
Define, design and build varied components of web-based and/or mobile applications. Developer should be functional with technologies across most of the application stack including user interface, middle tier, and database systems. The main areas of responsibility include:
- Work on a team of skilled developers to enhance, support, and maintain a sophisticated and successful web application with a backend containing billions of records
- Contribute to various levels of the stack, including the front-end, middle tier, ingestion/persistence of large amounts of data, and efficient retrieval from the database
- Solve complex problems that are both challenging and fun!
- Lead individual projects and potentially small teams
- Develop and maintain Unit and/or Functional Tests
- This position has NO official supervisory responsibilities.
- This position may be called upon to lead small technical teams, and serve as a lead systems architect for individual projects.
- This position will report to Software Development Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 to 10 years software development experience
- At least 5 years experience developing .NET/C# web applications
- At least 5 years experience with relational databases (SQL Server preferred)
- Desire/drive to lead new projects
- Strong analytical skills – be a problem solver and be able to develop complex algorithms
- Strong familiarity of design patterns
- Strong written and oral communications skills (English)
- Be a team player. Have opinions and listen to others.
- Passionate about software development! Willing to learn and to help others.
- Knowledge of the maritime industry a big plus
- NoSQL/Big Data experience and interest a big plus
- Familiarity with being able to queue, process, and persist large amounts of data efficiently
- Exposure to Azure/AWS
- Passionate about UI/UX
- Expertise with responsive design
- Experience working within Scrum methodology
- Experience with development lifecycle tools & processes such as source control (e.g., TFS, Git), build systems, branching & merging, and automated testing
- Interest in other frameworks/platforms/runtimes (e.g. Node, Meteor, Rails)
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Planning/Organizing- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Initiative- Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHTwork.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Sr. Software Developer
Location: San Diego, California
Job ID: 12646
Full/Part Time: Full-Time